Friday, January 20, 2012

What is a fun unique game I can use in a class of 10 students to learn biology? (ex..like jeopardy or bingo..)?

I tutor 10 students for freshman biology at a college, and want to make a fun game I can use in my tutoring sessions. The game has to facilitate learning somehow, by asking questions or drawing on the board..Something like Jeopardy, Bingo, Pictionary, or Who Wants to be a Millionare but with a twist?

I would prefer not to use those though. Anyone have interesting or unique ideas.What is a fun unique game I can use in a class of 10 students to learn biology? (ex..like jeopardy or bingo..)?
I would suggest they make their own game. By creating the format and making up the questions, they'll learn a lot.



When I was in nursing school, we created a "trivial pursuit" game using each of our subjects as categories (e.g. blue was pharmacology, black was nursing process %26amp; practise, red was anatomy %26amp; physiology, etc.) We added new cards to it regularly and played it the night before our tests. Maybe for your purposes, each body system could be a different category. Then you make a board (or use an existing one - maybe someone in the class has one or you could get it from a second hand shop or from freecycle). Then make index cards for each category with the question on one side and the answer on the other side. Have the students do this. They will learn as they go through the process. Assign a different # of points for easy and difficult questions and the one to finish with the highest # of points wins.



Right now I'm teaching esl to international students and they are making a snakes %26amp; ladders type game with questions about each of their countries plus Canada. I told them that when they finish I will laminate the board (just white bristol board) and the question cards to use with the next group of esl students. They are really enjoying it and it helps with their English and their knowledge of each others' countries.



When I was practise teaching I found a website that had a Jeopardy template for PowerPoint and I used it with the classroom projector on my last day. Each category was something I taught when I was with them (simple machines, nutrition, etc.) and I divided the class into half to play. I used a bell for one team and a squeaker for the other so they could "buzz in". They had so much fun that halfway through we just forgot about continuing to count points. It was a great review and they loved it.



Good luck!What is a fun unique game I can use in a class of 10 students to learn biology? (ex..like jeopardy or bingo..)?
jeopardy sounds like a good idea or any type of game along those lines

No comments:

Post a Comment